Monday, May 24, 2010

Sorry Doesn't Make Good (Read Time: 2 min.)

Far too many of us say "I'm sorry" WAY TOO MUCH...

In Chapter 8 (Transforming Your Guilt Into Acceptance), I shared an experience I had with my son when he was 4 years old (he's now 13) and it was a profound turning point for me.

Check it out:
"Be willing to give up guilt and embrace acceptance. Here's how to do it:

1) Stop apologizing for things you didn't do. I meet people all the time who say "I'm sorry" for the most insignificant things. They bump into you: "I'm sorry." They pass the salt instead of the pepper at dinner: "I'm sorry." They speak a few seconds before you've finished your last sentence: "I'm sorry." They move past you to another grocery line and slightly brush up against you: "I'm sorry."

I used to be that person. My 13 year old son was wise at age 4 and taught me how to stop saying sorry. Whenever I'd say sorry to this 4 year old grown up, he'd look me in the eye and say, "Mommy, sorry doesn't make good." No matter what I said sorry to, that was his response. And you know what? He was right!

If you did something wrong, apologize once and make amends. If you did nothing wrong, stop saying sorry for taking up space in the world. Do not apologize for your right to BE.

Apologies without merit or mending action mean nothing to the people you apologize to. Stop doing it.

- Not Built to Be Broken, Chapter 8

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share this site with others